100% Automatic route
Agriculture & Animal Husbandry, Air-Transport Services (Non Scheduled Air Transport Service / Helicopters services/ seaplane services requiring DGCA approval), Airports (Greenfield + Brownfield), Asset Reconstruction Companies, Auto-components, Automobiles, Biotechnology (Greenfield), Broadcast Content Services (Up-linking & down-linking of TV channels, Broadcasting Carriage Services, Capital Goods, Cash & Carry Wholesale Trading (including sourcing from MSEs), Chemicals, Coal & Lignite, Construction Development, Construction of Hospitals, Credit Information Companies, Duty Free Shops, E-commerce Activities, Electronic Systems, Food Processing, Gems & Jewellery, Healthcare(Greenfield), Industrial Parks, IT & BPM, Leather, Manufacturing, Mining & Exploration of metals & non-metal ores, Other Financial Services, Services under Civil Aviation Services such as Maintenance & Repair Organizations, Petroleum & Natural gas, Pharmaceuticals (Greenfield), Plantation sector, Ports & Shipping, Railway Infrastructure, Renewable Energy, Roads & Highways, Single Brand Retail Trading, Textiles & Garments, Thermal Power, Tourism & Hospitality, White Label ATM Operations and Insurance & Insurance Intermediaries.
Upto 100% Automatic route
- Infrastructure Company in the Securities Market - 49%
- Insurance - upto 49%
- Medical Devices - upto 100%
- Pension - 49%
- Petroleum Refining (By PSUs) – 49%
- Power Exchanges – 49%
Upto 100% FDI permitted under Government route
- Banking (Public sector) – 20%
- Broadcasting Content Services (FM Radio, uplinking of news and current affairs TV Channels)– 49%
- Uploading/Streaming of ‘News & Current affairs’ through digital media – 26%
- Investment by Foreign airlines – 49%
- Core Investment Company – 100%
- Food Products Retail Trading – 100%
- Mining & Minerals separations of titanium bearing minerals and ores, Its value addition and integrated activities – 100%
- Multi-Brand Retail Trading – 51%
- Print Media (publications/ printing of scientific and technical magazines/speciality journals/ periodicals and facsimile edition of foreign newspapers) – 100%
- Print Media (publishing of newspaper, periodicals and Indian editions of foreign magazines dealing with news & current affairs) – 26%
- Satellite (Establishment and operations) – 100%
Upto 100% FDI permitted under Automatic & Government
- Air transport services (Scheduled Air Transport Service/ Domestic Scheduled Passenger Airline; Regional Air Transport Service) – upto 49% (auto) (Upto 100% under automatic route for NRIs) + above 49% and up to 74% (Govt.)
- Banking (Private sector) – upto 49% (auto) + above 49% and up to 74% (Govt)
- Biotechnology (brownfield) – upto 74% (auto) + above 74% (Govt)
- Defence – upto 74% (auto) + above 74% (Govt)
- Healthcare (Brownfield) – upto 74% (auto) + above 74% (Govt)
- Pharmaceuticals (Brownfield) – upto 74% (auto) + above 74% (Govt)
- Private Security Agencies – upto 79% (auto) + above 49% and up to 74% (Govt)
- Telecom Services – upto 49% (auto) + above 49% (Govt)
(i) All the information pertaining to the sectors as stated above is in line with the extant Consolidated FDI Policy issued by DPIIT as amended from time to time.
(ii) In sectors/ activities not listed above, FDI is permitted up to 100% on the automatic route, subject to applicable laws/regulations; security and other conditionalities.
(iii) A non-resident entity can invest in India, subject to the FDI Policy except in those sectors/activities which are prohibited. However, an entity of a country, which shares a land border with India or where the beneficial owner of investment into India is situated in or is a citizen of any such country, can invest only under the Government route. Further, a citizen of Pakistan or an entity incorporated in Pakistan can invest, only under the Government route, in sectors/activities other than defence, space, atomic energy and sectors/activities prohibited for foreign investment. Please refer to press note 3.